Sunday, November 27, 2011

Chapter 8: Springtime and some more long distance


The New Year came and went, let the record show, I do remember what we did on new years eve. We spent it at Emelia’s. We did make some resolutions together that I wish not to discuss, but only lasted a couple weeks. It was just impossible I suppose.
New Years @ Millie's

February rolled around again and we were almost to a year. February was also the time when we were able to use the tickets I bought her for Christmas. We went to a dance performance done to the Beatles songs so it wasn’t completely boring. In fact, I enjoyed it! It was good to spend a night with her doing something that I knew she loved. We also took a trip to Idaho that month. This turned out to be an interesting experience. We left just a day or two before Valentines Day and drove ourselves up to her grandmother’s house. If I remember correctly it was about a 3-4 hour drive and it wasn’t pretty. I don’t’ know how Idaho looks in the summer time but I was pretty drab in the middle of February. It was funny meeting relatived of Katelin, but I think they enjoyed me enough. We drove up in the morning and arrived at Grandma’s in the early afternoon. We spent the rest of the afternoon driving around town with various Aunts and Uncles of hers, visiting the temple and the falls and cleaning her grandmother’s new house. The evening was the best part. We had baked potatoes for dinner. Ha… figures. It was a comical situation because I got halfway through the potato and then realized, “oh my goodness, I’m in Idaho eating a baked potato!” We also played some games with the family and then we watched The Pursuit of Happyness with Grandma.
Shoshone Falls in Idaho :)
The next morning we woke up and drove home while her family was at church. The drive home wasn’t all that fun because I didn’t sleep very well on the couch I picked out for myself. It didn’t help that we made a wrong turn and added two hours to our trip going through Pocatello or something like that. Let the record show that Katelin was driving when we turned the wrong way. But, I was busy playing Super Smash Brothers. The drive wasn’t all that bad because I got to spend most of the time talking with Katelin, she even let me control the music on the majority of the ride. We were driving home on Valentine’s Day. How cute is that?

On February 27, 2010 we had our 1-year anniversary. If I’m being honest, I can’t remember too much about what we did that day, but I do think we ended up on the roof again commemorating the event. I couldn’t believe it had already been a year. The time had flown. By this point she was such an integral part of my life, I just don’t know what I would do without her. I remember opening up to her quite a bit that evening. I told her how much she meant to me and even relayed much of what is contained in the first few pages of this history. A long time has passed since that first year, but here’s to many more to come.
Psh! I remember! We went the the Planetarium and saw a 3D Under the Sea movie, then we went to Temple Square. Then we went to Jamba Juice, then we got a redbox, then we sat on the roof for a minute but it was FREEZING. Then we watched a movie with Jake and his girlfriend. Bam. Memory. 

March and April of that year were quite eventful. We were spending quite a bit of time at my cousin Brenan’s home with his girlfriend, going on double dates and what not. In April I started to prepare to go to work out in Nebraska for the summer. April was also when I received my mission call to serve in the England Manchester mission. I received the call on a Wednesday. I came home from work to find a big white envelope addressed to me waiting on the kitchen table. I was alone but within ten minutes Katelin was there. The whole family came shortly after and I was able to open the call, finally. Everyone was being really dramatic about it, I suppose I had come a long way.
So this is the day he got his call. Except I'm PRETTY DANG SURE that he picked me up that day... we pulled up and got it out of the mailbox, together. Then we waiting for his family to get home, together. His memory is foggy. SO foggy. 
The excitement of the call was a bit spoiled by the fact that I left to Nebraska a week later. It wasn’t easy and I didn’t want to leave Katelin. But, it was good practice for when we would part again for 2 years. Nebraska was an extremely eye opening time for me. But, I loved it. Extremely hard work, but I am a better person because of it. (I was selling satellite TV door to door, I forgot to mention that.) We would also Skype each other quite often during the evenings and this would later be known as the “Skype date”. The Skype date consisted of a few things. She would lie in her bed with her computer facing her and we would talk, as I was getting ready for bed or doing other things. She would wait patiently for me until I would lie down as well and then we would talk until we were too tired and would have to say goodbye or we would just fall asleep with the computer still on. I was only in Nebraska for 2 months but I missed her like heck. I was still very much in love with her and wanted to do anything to hold her every night like I could back at home. I did make it back home and this takes us to a reunion in the beginning of July. 
He forgot to mention our trip to Mesquite with his family. It was really fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment