Monday, September 5, 2011

Chapter 4: Together at last.


Jump ahead a ways and we find ourselves in February, time for our first kiss. This is awkward... I had my opportunity earlier in the month that I should have pounced on. The situation goes like this. We ended up in the parking lot of Alta High School very late on a school night goofing off. I don’t remember the circumstances of why we were there, but we were. We were running around the parking lot acting like 12 year olds, but it was enjoyable. The time was drawing late and I believe even Roger Cook was ringing her. haha ringing her. he's so British. It was time to say goodbye. We hugged outside her car door and I held her for a moment, maintaining eye contact, and then I chickened out. I had kissed plenty of girls before this! Why was I so nervous about this one? I can’t put my thumb on it, but I think it may have to do with how she would always tell me about how perfect she wanted her first kiss to be, which had already been shattered by Brayden’s flop. I think this intimidated me. Regardless, It didn’t happen here and I was punching myself in the face for it.

I provided myself a second chance shortly thereafter. It was a weekend and she came over and we watched The Dark Knight together. It was getting late and also boring so I suggested that we climb to the roof. We did this promptly; took a blanket, snuck into the laundry room, and climbed up to the top of the house to enjoy the view. We spoke about a lot of things up there. it was right before Dance Company concert and all I could think was, ‘if she falls and breaks a leg, that’s gonna be trouble’. We were up there forever and I was still nervous! I was more nervous about this than anything else in my life! I play my guitar in front of hundreds of people, rap rhymes into microphones on stages, knock on doors selling satellite, speak to people on busses and trains and many other things, but kissing Katelin terrified me the most. We spoke for ages, we discussed her first kiss, my first kiss, I rapped the entire song “Shoes” and we talked about how freezing it was. But, I still wouldn’t kiss her. By this time, it was getting really late, Jake had showed up to my home and was reading in my bedroom, and my Aunt Emily was frantically scanning the house for me. Then it happened. The situation grew intense; I turned around and kissed her, just twice. Almost immediately, we climbed down and back into the laundry room. I think we both just busted up laughing after because we had made such a huge deal about it. And we both realized... phew! that wasn't so hard! We went straight from fireworks to my aunt yelling at me, and Jake badgering me. It was a truly memorable experience and that day, February the 27th has come to be known as the beginning of Katelin and Trace.

I think this was the initiating experience to us becoming a couple. We were official after this. Kissing Katelin became less nerve racking for me and I started getting used to dating a girl who I was actually proud of. It was weird for me for the first little while when I began to become acquainted with her group of friends. It was awkward for quite some time but I got used to it. I think we spent most of March getting used to one another. It took some realization that we were, in fact, complete opposites and needed to adjust to the situation. I feel that we did it pretty well. The end of senior year became one of the greatest times of my life. Katelin and I were together… a lot.

Some of my most favorite memories with her were the times that we spent skipping class, hahahaha sorry parents. Skipping school usually meant McDonald’s breakfast and lounging around a park somewhere, sometimes it was going to her house and eating noodles or going to mine and watching SpongeBob. It didn’t really matter what we did as long as weren’t in school and we were together. I was so happy at this point. I loved being with her, I loved the feeling of sneaking around Draper during school with her, it was exciting and I became madly in love with her.

We had the opportunity to attend the Art History trip in San Francisco in April or May. This trip, over those few days taught me a lot. Things became very out in the open at this point that we were together and it weirded me out a bit. I had to get used to it. I had to get used to her holding only my hand everywhere we went, I still don’t think I’m accustomed to it, which I apologize for, sorry Katelin. But, San Francisco was incredible. I came to the realization here that Katelin and I were not just dating, but best friends. I would honestly talk to her about anything and everything. 

I don't remember what museum this was in front of...

No comments:

Post a Comment