Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Chapter 5: Summer of Love.


SAP WARNING! SAPPY SAPPY SAPPY! I can't believe this kid! I've tried thousands of times to get him to watch movies with me that aren't half and lovey dovey as this!!!


Another specific event of the early part of the year was our acceptance into BYU. Katelin was set on attending BYU and I wasn’t as convinced. I took absolute ages to apply but with her encouragement I was able to. I remember one instance in particular that I will treasure forever. I went to see my stake president for an ecclesiastical endorsement and Katelin drove me to the interview. The interview went really well… I passed, you could say. It was the best feeling to be worthy. I remember walking out of the stake center with my papers in hand, it was a clear night and it had become dark. Katelin was waiting outside for me in the parking lot. I remember looking at her smiling face, illuminated by the street lamp and feeling the most overwhelming feeling of gratitude. It was here that I gained an even deeper level of appreciation for her. I felt like I owed he so much. I wish I could explain the way I feel about her. I wish I could explain how I never want her to go away, how I want to just sit and talk to her forever. I wish there was a word for it, but I felt it that night.

Sorry for my lack of chronology the last few paragraphs, I will try to improve. This takes us into the closing months of high school. Katelin and I ended up spending a lot of time at my house and her family began to miss her and perhaps wonder whot his new boyfriend was. We didn’t spend too much time at ther house because, quite honestly, I was a bit intimidated. This is Roger Cook and 7 of the most righteous women I’ve ever met we’re talking about here. Needless to say, I got over my fear slowly. I began to really enjoy being at the Cook home and started to love being in their presence. But, Roger Cook was watching, always watching.

May-June 2009 was an excited time for me. Ocean Floor Traffic, the band of which I was a part of, had a battle of the bands to play. The day approached and Katelin, being the best girlfriend ever, was there. We played our set and it went really well, however, as the night wore on I began to feel a little ill. We sat and watched the remainder of the groups play from the balcony above the club. She gave me her stool and stood beside me as I leaned on the wall. She just sat and rubbed my back the whole time. Katelin is such a caring person, she shows love and concern for all those around her. This is one of the things that I admire most about her; her loving concern. The time came for the winner to be announced, so we went down to the floor and stood in the crowd. They announced that we took first place and I was thrilled, as was everyone else around. We were asked to come up on the stage, the band I mean, but I had to leave Katelin in the crowd. I remember looking down at her, still holding her hand while she was looking back at me with her soft smile. Amidst the cheering and people jumping around, I kissed her. It was the first time I kissed her in public and it felt good.
Senior Dinner Dance.
Graduation! Yeah!
Graduation came and went with all its festivities and we found ourselves in the summer before she would head off to university. ha. So British. The very beginning of that summer was an incredible time for me. I think our love was in full swing at this point and we were still crazy about each other. With the battle of the bands win came a bit of recording time. While I was doing that, Katelin decided to start having mono. This was a barrier I was determined to overcome. I would visit her at the beginning of her mono as much as I could. I was working and doing music things at the time. She spent most days inside at home so I would go over and sit with her and we would just talk. There wasn’t much else to do. I don’t even think we sat close. I’m not really sure how contagious the mono is, but I didn’t feel like risking it at the time. As time wore on I got close and closer to her… until one night I just kissed her. I was a bit freaked out that I was gonna get the mono so I was drinking vitamin c drinks like they were going out of style. I never got it though, and that’s how I beat the mono. I loved those days of just me and her relaxing together. I remember once we were sitting on a porch swing somewhere. I specifically remember that it was 11:45 in the evening. The air was warm, the night was quiet and you could even see the stars through the city lights. I held her on that swing as we talked about our relationship together and that moment became the epitome of that summer. What I wouldn’t give to go back and relive it again. It was going to be extremely late by the time 12:15 rolled around so I kissed her goodbye and walked down the path through the sprinklers to my car. I remember looking back at her and I could but tell her how beautiful she is, so I did!


Despite my mono, I did get to have some fun that summer...
Seven Peaks

Trace's Birthday Dinner

Boating for my birthday

Flour Fight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment