Thursday, September 15, 2011

Chapter 6: College Time.


Patience Readers... Working full time + School full time = NO TIME LEFT OVER!


The summer continued and we grew closer and closer together. We were together as much as possible. However, there was something looming overhead. At the end of that summer, Katelin was to move to Provo for school and in my eyes, I thought this meant we would be over. I remember doing the math in my head seeing we would be together about six months in total. That was impressive in my mind. Little did I understand we would continue for years past that. It became a little bit of a miscommunication between us. Our six-month anniversary was fast approaching and we were both talking like we were going to break up once she moved. It was a silly though really as we were doing really well, still in love. 

Then it was August the 27th, our six-month anniversary. We spent the evening on the roof again. It was an emotional experience; What he means is... I just sat. And bawled the most unattractive breakdown ever. ha. I think I may have even cried. I told Katelin a lot of things she didn’t know about how I felt about her. I pretty much explained a lot of what I have already written here. I told her of how much of an example she is to me and how much I love her. We only kissed once or twice, mostly we just sat. For a long time. Looking out over the lighted valley at night. Then we climbed back down and said goodbye. I though it was over. I went into my bedroom and did what I always do when things are tough for me. I lay in the dark on my shag rug and cry. I can’t remember too well her birthday the next day or what date exactly she moved away but, it was rough. I do remember, however, the first visit I paid her in Provo. 

I was working for Simply Mac at the time and I had to run to the store in Orem to finish off my day. So, I thought I would swing by and visit. I pricked her up and we went to McDonalds, typical Trace and Katelin. We went back to her apartment and met her roommates. We sat on the floor and ate. It was the most awkward 15 minutes of my life. UNDERSTATEMENT OF THE CENTURY. I have literally never felt more awkward. No one knew what was going on. Katelin will tell you that she thought we were still together, but I’m pretty sure we were not together. The awkward part was that neither of us really knew why we were separated. I left shortly after that and soon after that we had a good chat about us. I can’t remember when we spoke but the verdict was, we were still together. I was happy with that. It was such a huge relief. It was like starting over… again. Interesting. For the record, I came home that weekend for the neighborhood summer party. I brought Trace, and when his friends would call him, he'd say, "I'm with Katelin," and they'd say, "You got back together?" I think I hit him the second time and said DUDE! then we talked and realized... why the heck wouldn't we be together? 

Then school started and the pressure was back on. School and work and a relationship proved to be a little much for both of us. We weren’t used to the university life and we weren’t used to being that far apart. It was hard but we pushed through the adversity. Because it was hard to see her now, every time I did, it was even more of a treat. We really had to rely on each other as much as we could. I needed her and I think she needed me. Some of my favorite memoreies were when I would take the day off of work on a day when I didn’t have class and I would drive down to Provo to surprise her. Just to relieve some of her burden, and mine as well. OKAY! This happened ONCE! But, I gave him so much praise for it, he must have thought it was multiple times. I was having a breakdown cuz school was too hard. I was sobbing and texting him. I heard the door open and Jelina say, "Oh. Hi!" I opened my bedroom door to see the cutest kid with open arms. (Cue the Journey song....) Anyway, he was wearing his green zip up hoodie. I remember. It was the greatest day. He helped me catch up on homework, walked to campus to turn in papers, and just made sure I didn't cry anymore. But, again... one time. Katelin would come visit me often as well, finding any way she could to come up to Draper. We would spend hours together and then I would drive her home in the middle of the night sometime. Something that had been on my mind for a long time marrying Katelin; apparently she had been pondering the same and it was one of these drives where we both became aware of what the other was thinking.

I can’t remember how the conversation started, but we both admitted that wanted to marry the other at about the same time. The admittance came in the AM hours, just as I was pulling onto her street. I kept driving past her apartment for this was something we needed to talk about! Neither of us believed the other was being serious. It was so funny. Then Katelin started to believe me. She did her super excited giggle and squirmed in her seat, squeezing my hand tighter. It became a pretty normal topic of discussion after that. I seriously thought... there's no way this kid would put up with me for eternity. No way. But, he convinced me that he was serious. He's crazy. 
This is the day he drove me to Provo. He forgot to mention that he's the one that actually moved me down there, cuz his cousin had to go on the same day. HA! Oh heavens, he didn't talk about the necklace... here we go.
So the pick necklace. Trace wore that all. the time. It's the pick from his first show, and the pick from his favorite show. He never took it off, except a couple times. He couldn't wear it during shows cuz he'd go too wacko and break it, so one show he put it on me, I forgot to give it back, then I did. I would always play with it on his neck, I just loved it. On that fateful 6-Month anniversary, he gave me the sweetest letter about how much he'd loved the last 6 months, and in the envelope was the necklace. :) I don't wear it every day anymore, but I did. for like 2 years. I love it so much. 

This is one of the days I came home to go to lunch in Draper. :)

Date night in Provo!

1 comment:

  1. All this time I've been your friend, your laurel advisor, your cheer leader...and I can't believe I didn't know that this was your life! Shame on me...and on you for not sharing this wonderful story with me before this...I am loving reading this novel :)

    ReplyDelete